How your imperfections can grow your business
Have you ever admitted you are not perfect?
Owned up to making mistakes, accepted you are not always right (mmmmm) or that things do not always go your way?
If you answered yes to any of the above – congratulations!
It means you are human.
This is a good thing.
The new language being spruiked today has moved away from B2B (Business to Business) or B2C (Business to Client).
Instead it is about H2H – Human to Human.
Breaking down the virtual walls that have stood between people when they move into ‘business mode’ is now becoming the new normal.
People want to do business with real humans.
They want to work with people they know, like and trust.
They want to genuinely connect, find a place where they can relate and develop relationships where they feel understood.
So many ‘experts’ maintain a clever poker face, hide their imperfections or
omit to share anything other than their wins and successes.
They believe that in order to play the ultimate professional and provide specialised financial advice, they will be undermined if a client finds a ‘chink’ in their human armour.
I get it – I have felt this way for most of my life too.
However, imagine if a prospect or a client discovered you were not the perfect flawless creature you make out to be?
What do you think would happen?
Let me tell you what I have seen happen to clients when advisers break past the illusive ‘perfection’ barrier:
- Their relationships are stronger and based on a deeper level of trust and likability.
- They have more confidence in their advisers ability to support them on their journey as they feel they can genuinely relate to their situation.
- They are more confident knowing that if faced with adversity or challenge, their adviser will be capable of pulling out all stops to make things right.
- Clients are less likely to ‘hold back’ and will more readily share their fears, challenges or inadequacies if they know you have been there too (or along those lines).
- It boosts your credibility, as clients know their adviser is vulnerable and susceptible to life’s curve balls as they are. You just have the tools, knowledge and expertise to deal with it more effectively.
And one of the best ways to show how human, and imperfect you are is to do VIDEOS!
You know what I mean.
There is nowhere to hide and no better place to be real.
Whether you use video, or tell stories, by sharing the fact that you make mistakes, you can be wrong, you can stuff up and you can fail provides an opportunity to demonstrate how human you are – and this make you more relatable.
How you can take your imperfections or mistakes and help clients’ be better prepared and set themselves up for a more certain future.
It’s the classic ‘been there, done that’ scenario.
Some of the greatest lessons in life are learnt from making mistakes.
If you were mistake or error free, then you would have missed out on some of the best learning’s possible.
And life would be boring, right?
What are you doing to expose yourself as being human in your business?
I’d love to know.